Today, like most Australians, we are dissecting and taking in the Federal Budget. Most of the major dailies have put out tax tables to make it easy to see how much you will or won’t get back in the centre piece of the budget – tax cuts. But we want to direct some of our attention elsewhere – to the issues and people that have been left out. Most notably, we are saddened and frustrated that the Budget is almost completely silent on the housing affordability crisis. We are also deeply concerned at the continued lack of foreign aid, low support for young people experiencing homelessness and unemployment and the cruelly low Newstart allowance.
We have posted a list of articles and media releases from the point of view of organisations working in the community sector to help you navigate your way through the effects of the Budget on many of the areas we care about, serve in and advocate for as Church.
- Vinnies Australia – Budget Response
- SBS – Budget Silent on Housing Affordability
- Melbourne Catholic – Caritas Statement on Foreign Aid and most Insular Foreign Policy in 60 Years
- The Catholic Leader – Lowest Income Earners Worse Off After Budget
- The Guardian – Melbourne CBD Shutdown as Workers Protest the Budget
- CathNews – Budget Tax Plan ‘Caviar for the Corporates’