The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference issues yearly Statements on important matters of social justice. The Australian Catholic Social Justice Council (ACSJC), an agency of the Bishops Conference, produces a number of resources to accompany these Statements. You can find some of the key resources below, along with many others directly from the ACSJC website.
2016-2017: ‘A Place at the Table. Social justice in an ageing society’.
- Order forms here
- Summary PDF Word
- Letter from Archbishop Hart PDF
- Liturgy Notes Word
- Statement (PDF and Word)
- Community Education Resource (PDF and Word)
- Prayer card
- Ten Steps
- Media Statement (Word)
2015-2016: ‘For Those Who’ve Come Across the Seas. Justice for refugees and asylum seekers’.
- Statement: PDF Word
- Social Justice Statement abridged – Vietnamese translation: Word
- Summary: PDF Word
- Liturgy Notes: PDF Word
- Prayer card: here
- Ten Steps: here
2012-2013: ‘The Gift of Family in Difficult Times. The social and economic challenges facing families today’.
2011-2012: ‘Building Bridges, Not Walls. Prisons and the justice system.’
2010: ‘Violence in Australia. A message of peace’.
2009: ‘And you will be my witnesses. Young people and justice’.
2008: ‘A Rich Young Nation. The challenge of affluence and poverty in Australia’
2007: ‘Who is my neighbour? Australia as a Global Citizen’.
2006: ‘The Heart of our Country. Dignity and justice for our Indigenous sisters and brothers’.
2005: ‘Jesus, light for the world. Living the Gospel today’.
2004: ‘Peace be with you. Cultivating a culture of peace’.
2002: ‘A new earth. The environmental challenge’.
2001: ‘A just and peaceful land. Rural and regional Australia in 2001’.
2000: ‘Woman and man. The Bishops respond’.
1990: ‘Social Justice in everyday life.’
Other Bishops’ Statements
- ATSI Sunday 2016, ‘We Need Mercy’;
- 2016 Federal Election Statement, ‘A Vote for the Voiceless’;
- ACBC and ACRATH Statement against human trafficking, 23 January 2015;
- Statement by the Australian Catholic Bishops on Asylum Seekers, 8 May 2014;
Other documents from the ACBC
- ‘Catholic Bishops call for changes to workplace legislation’, Media Release, 25 November 2005.
- ‘Prayer Entrusting Australian to Mary, Help of Christians’, 23 May 2001.
- Homily by Archbishop Francis P. Carroll, President of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, 4 May 2001.
- ‘A Statement on Terrorism by the Catholic Bishops of Australia’, 25 November 2005.
- A Statement on Iraq from the Catholic Bishops of Australia, 5 March 2003.
- ‘The Catholic Church and the Centenary of Federation’, 10 May 2001 (Catholic Church_ Centenary of Federation).
- ‘Catholic Bishops to establish commission for Australian Catholic women’, 18 May 2000.
- ‘Bishops seek forgiveness from the Stolen Generation on National Sorry Day’, 26 May 1998.