During the celebration of Laudato Si’ Week 2020 , the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development announced a Special Laudato Si’ Anniversary Year from 24th May 2020 – 24th May 2021. The hope is that the anniversary year and the ensuing decade will indeed be a time of grace and renewal.
The encyclical Laudato Si and its Anniversary Year can indeed provide the moral and spiritual compass for the journey to create a more caring, fraternal, peaceful and sustainable world.
The Anniversary Year will proceed with several initiatives, realized in partnership and with a clear emphasis on “ecological conversion” in “action”.
We are all invited to take part in the list of actions and add our own.
During the Laudato Si’ Special Anniversary Year, there will be the launch of the program and a public commitment from the part of various institutions to begin the 7-year journey to total sustainability in the spirit of Laudato Si’. These institutions are families, dioceses, schools, universities, hospitals and healthcare centres, businesses and religious orders.
The Dicastery has already identified Laudato Si’ Goals. A brief description of these goals can be found below. For a complete description see the Laudato Si’ Special Anniversary Year Plans published by the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development.
- Response to the Cry of the Earth (greater use of renewable energy to achieve carbon neutrality, protect biodiversity, and clean water for all, etc.)
- Response to the Cry of the Poor (defence of human life from conception to death and all forms of life on Earth, with special attention to vulnerable groups etc.)
- Ecological Economics (sustainable production, Fair-trade, ethical consumption, ethical investments, divestment from fossil fuels etc.)
- Adoption of Simple Lifestyles (sobriety in the use of resources and energy, avoid single-use plastic, a more plant-based diet and clean public transport, etc.)
- Ecological Education (re-think and re-design educational curricula and educational institution reform in the spirit of integral ecology to take action etc.)
- Ecological Spirituality (recover a religious vision of God’s creation, encourage greater contact with the natural world in a spirit of wonder, praise, joy and gratitude, etc.)
- Emphasis on Community involvement and participatory action to care for creation at the local, regional, national and international levels (promote advocacy and people’s local campaigns, etc.)
There is also the implementation of the Laudato Si’ Awards for individuals and institutions who work to care for our common home.
As the year progresses we will keep you updated on any actions we take as part of the year and invite you to take part. You are also encouraged to host your own in person (dependent on health directives) or online events and actions.