The Justice and Peace Office periodically offers an internship in Social Justice and Community Organising. This internship seeks to equip selected university students with the tools to actively live out their faith in civic society and effectively work with others for the common good. The internship is open strictly to current tertiary students who have studied the social teaching of the Church and who are over 18 years of age.
Through participation in the program, interns will:
- Gain skills and experience in community organising, leadership and political participation (including public speaking and presentation; working in a professional context; research and analysis; engaging and building communities; teamwork; small and large group facilitation; effective social action);
- Develop organisational skills including the ability to use time, energy, resources in an effective way to achieve goals;
- Deepen their Catholic faith and learn how to put the Church’s teaching on justice and peace into practice;
- Form relationships with other young people, and with community leaders across the diversity of Sydney’s civil society.
Generally, the internship requires a 4 month commitment and a minimum of 4 hours per week. This may include after hours and evening activities. Interns must be willing to travel throughout the Archdiocese of Sydney from time to time.
Interns will participate in an induction and training upon commencement of their internship, along with ongoing formation and mentoring during their internship. Interns will work within the Justice and Peace Office, including the possibility of work:
- With parishes within the Archdiocese of Sydney (including parish social justice groups) and with other relevant community groups;
- Undertaking workshops and talks with parishes on issues relating to the social teaching of the Church;
- Working on particular social justice campaigns through the Sydney Alliance;
- Preparing Justice and Peace Office resources in the social teaching of the Church;
- Assisting the Justice and Peace Office social media and photographic library;
- Organising and preparing of Justice and Peace Office events and meetings;
- Administrative and ad hoc tasks may also be assigned.
For further details, please contact the Justice and Peace Office, Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney by either phoning (02) 9307 8465 or emailing email@example.com.